Banner photo of Larry Eugene Meredith, Ronald Tipton and Patrick Flynn, 2017.

The good times are memories
In the drinking of elder men...

-- Larry E.
Time II

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Quick Takes: Shoes

I seldom owned more than two pair of shoes at one time. This began in childhood. My family had to be frugal and sparse on somethings in order to afford others. I had a pair of all occasion shoes, usually some brand of sneakers. (Keds was the popular brand in my boyhood, which I had at one time or another.) These I wore for play and for school; in fact, most of the time.

My second pair were my "good" shoes. They were for dress up, what folks called "Sunday-go-to-meeting" shoes. You had to be careful when you wore them. They were relatively expensive and you better not scuff them up or even worse, get them wet. From what I remember, they usually were heavy and pinched my toes.

I've seldom had more than a few friends at any period of life. I have been frugal and sparse. Friends are like shoes, they are close to you and they provide comfort and protection. "If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up!" Ecclesiastes 4:10 Thus Friends should fit well.

But sometimes even your best friends can pinch. Even the ones you are careful not to scuff may sometimes scoff at you. But friendship and forgiveness start with the same letter. You need to put yourself on your friend's foot occasionally, because remember to your friend you are like his shoes too. You don't discard a good pair of shoes because once in awhile a pebble slips in. You discard the pebble and regain the comfort of the shoe. It is a disappointment when a good pair of shoes are worn out. It is a tragedy if you allow a good friendship to wear thin over an occasional stone on the gravel road of life.

Wounds from a friend can be trusted,
but an enemy multiplies kisses. Prov 27:6


No comments: