Banner photo of Larry Eugene Meredith, Ronald Tipton and Patrick Flynn, 2017.

The good times are memories
In the drinking of elder men...

-- Larry E.
Time II

Wednesday, August 1, 2018

2018 07 31 Ocean City Md. Trip with Brandywine Senior Center

On the last day of July, Lo and I took a trip to Ocean City, Maryland.There is a video compilation of the photos I took below. We traveled down to this site from the Brandywine Senior Center. We have come to a point in our lives, at least in mine, where this is my preferred way of taking long excursions. I just am not up to two and three hour's of car diving anymore. Not so sure I trust my 10 year old vehicle that much anymore either. I'd rather climb in the Center's bus and let someone else do the driving, specifically Kurt. Kurt is an older gentleman, too; but not so old as the rest of us. He's also a fun guy to have along on these adventures.

We left Claymont at 7:30, made a rest stop at a Wawa in Milford, Delaware and arrived in Ocean City just before 10:30 AM. I think the Senior Center bus might hold up to 17 people and is usually full for trips. You need to sign up near the time the month's excursions are posted or you miss out. That number probably counts Kurt and sometimes, as on this trip a young lady who accompanies us to see all goes well.

The weather forecasts were a big if'y, unsettled as the weather casters call it. It has been this way a couple weeks now and is predicted to continue so for at least a week more. About lower-slower Delaware, as we left Route 1 for 113, the sky was very cloudy and dark, and the rest of the way we drove through one shower after another. Strangely, once we made a right turn into Ocean City, things were very different. Blue sky and no rain over the Boardwalk, beach or ocean. Just had the sun, a very hot sun. We could have used some of the clouds. It was hot, hot, hot and it is a place with no real shade.




Look at the opening pictures and you will see a long stretch of desert. There may be benches along the way, but little escape from the recently heat. The amusement pier you see didn't open until 1:00, not that we planned to go on the roller coaster, or the bunchy ball drop or anything. I'm afraid such thing have receded into our youth. So we spent the remainder of the morning walking. Our risky amusements were dodging the many bicycles, roller skaters, and other faster moving contraptions whizzing by. I was almost taken down by a young lady police officer on a bike. These vehicles were allowed until 11:00, then it became safer.

We passed a fireman statue at a memorial to first responders. There was large banner along the way announcing Jesus at the Beach. I don't think that was the Lord himself putting it up. The is a music and ministry festival, probably similar to the Jammin' for Jesus in Rodney Square later this month.  As you know, I like to take snapshots of scenes about, like the two terns perched, one each, on a couple of poles, and the sand sculptures of Jesus Crucifixion, Last Supper and Resurrection.

After a while and me having a cheeseburger at a ridiculous $10 (didn't even come with fries), we bought all day passes to the tram ($12 for us both, really not a bad deal since you could get on and off and ride until 4:00). You didn't even have to put up with that annoying, "Watch the Tram Car Please" warning every other minute.  The woman ahead of us with the crocheted pick head band was with the group that came down with us.

I don't know why, but in the selfie I took of Lo and I on the tram, I have my right eye closed. I'm not winking at you. Maybe the sun was in my eye.

The gulls and terns were very busy. It was like the Hitchcock's "The Birds". They were along the roofs watching everything and sometimes shrieking loudly. If some dropped something they would swoop down. When I was eating my cheeseburger, a tern stood front of me and stared, trying to make me feel guilty. Sorry, I ate the whole thing.  A young woman in one picture was trying to entice a single tern over to take something from her hand, but soon there were three then four and then more. You'll see in another picture a young girl by the sand surrounded by these bird as she is feeding them something.  One woman came along and had a small piece of bread sh was giving to a small bird. I said, "You get a crowd". She said, Yes, they have been following us along, but I but this beneath these cans and only the little bird can get it."

We were sitting down by the Ferris Wheel and Lo was boiling. I was fearful she would suffer heat stroke. As I noted, no shade anywhere. I went off and found a stand selling bottle water and bought one. It was nice and cold, but cost $2.50. I buy a whole case here at home for around $3. Anyway, Lois liked rubbing the cold against her face, but I could not get the cap open.  I saw a couple coming down the boardwalk and he looked pretty muscular. I walked out to him and asked if he could open the bottle. He probably was thinking, "What's this white guy up to?", but he got the bottle open and his girlfriend or wife explained how to work it. See, very nice people all over the place if you trust them. I am often at the mercy of the kindness of strangers there days. Lots of people reached to help me on and off the tram.

Speaking of the tram, this proved embarrassing. Lo said," It might be cooler if he rode the tram." Yes, it had a roof that provided shade and when it was moving there was a fine little breeze. We had all day tickets, so we hopped back on and off it went. We figured to ride to the end of the line and then back to catch the Senior center Bus at 2:30. It was just after 1:30 when we climbed aboard.

Okay, the Ocean City boardwalk is 2.5 miles long. We got on and road out to the end, at 27th Avenue where there is a station and it turns around. It became two o'clock at about 20th. Lo was getting nervous, but it only had 7 more avenues. We stayed on.

We are in the station, but now it is after 2:00 and it is just sitting there, waiting for people to board and for a break. A man with a cane, not me, got off to go to the restroom, and so we waited. It is getting near 2:15 and no movement. Lo thinks we should get out and walk. We do. We hadn't walked too far ( and neither of us walk very well theses days) when the tram caught up to us, thank goodness. We jumped back on board. I knew there was no way we could have walked 2 or 2.5 miles in 15 minutes.  A couple years back I averaged 15 minutes a mile, but that was pre-ALS. I could even run some then, but there would have been no way I could have made 2.5 miles in a quarter hour. We could only sweat it out.

"Our only hope is not many people want to get on," I said.

We got our hope. Somewhere near 2;30 we were coming up on the amusements. I signed to get off. I clambered down, but Lois was staying on. "No, no, get off," and I tugged her from the car. The tram was about to go up a amp and circle the amusement pier. What Lo didn't understand was the tram did not stop anywhere on the ramp, up or down. I got her off and canned ahead as fast I could through a tunnel on the pier labeled Jolly Roger and waved red-faced to Kurt and the bus. Everyone one was aboard but us. I told Kurt, "She's coming."

We took a bit of razzing, but we didn't get left in Maryland. We may have been 10 minutes behind schedule. I hate to be late for anything. Usually I am early, so this was especially upsetting to me.

But despite this and despite the terrible heat, we still enjoyed the trip.




1 comment:

Ron said...

Day in Philly, I was late for the bus takeoff at Independence Hall. Bus was packed and quiet, very quiet. I didn't calculate correctly walking from 15th Street to 4th Street. I used to make that distance in no time. Now in my dotage, things take longer. I was embarrassed that I kept them waiting. But I was still two minutes early. I can't take this heat and humidity. I stay inside during this swamp weather. You and Lois be careful you don't succumb to heat exhaustion. It can sneak up on you. It almost did last week with me. I just about made it inside before my legs gave out. Nice post by the way.
Ron