Banner photo of Larry Eugene Meredith, Ronald Tipton and Patrick Flynn, 2017.

The good times are memories
In the drinking of elder men...

-- Larry E.
Time II

Sunday, November 1, 2020

My Artistic Friends Over Past Years Part 20: Scott N.

 

Scott Neeley has had a pretty successful career in th art, although probably few of you have heard of him. For over 10 years he has been doing the Scooby Doo children books and comics.


Scott acme into our creative writing group nd became the second person to advise me to peddle my work by moving to New York City, the first having been Jane Waiters back in the late 1960's. I did not do it then for her, nor did I do it at the advice of Scott.  He belied in schmoozing an I never felt comfortable doing that. He insisted to make it as a writer today one must go to the bars near the publishing house of New York and hang out with the house editors who frequented theses place.

     Buy them a drink, talk with them, get them to consider you a buddy and then pitch a book idea or two to them. They may even deem to read a story or so and then take your manuscripts to their bosses. Maybe he was right, but it wasn't my style. I'd just continue mailing o the magazines and perhaps get myself an agent.

     Besides being an artist, Scott was also a writer, which is why he came to our group in the first place. As an editor he did take some articles for the magazine he edited, which had a rather large circulation. It was 
"Dining & Entertainment Magazine"  

  
I wrote several articles for this publication, mainly about holidays such as St. Patrick's Day and Valentine's Day. 





Scott eventually went back to his art and left our group. I assume he is still at it.

















No comments: