Banner photo of Larry Eugene Meredith, Ronald Tipton and Patrick Flynn, 2017.

The good times are memories
In the drinking of elder men...

-- Larry E.
Time II

Thursday, September 10, 2020

Rehab; Part Hospital, Jail and Insane Asylum. 7

   


The hospitals send you to rehab, because after a few days they want your bed free.  A lady came around and told me I was going to be moved to a rehab and handed me a list. "Pick one, "she said.

What do I know about Delaware Rehabs? Nothing. I remembered how awful was the one they moved my mother to in Pennsylvania; dreary with a lot of people slumped over in wheelchair lining the hallways. 


    The list she gave me must have had three dozen places on it. I picked one that seemed closes to my home and it had a 5 star rating. That is suppose to be the top rating Medicare gives these place.  Also I choose Cadia Rehab on Silverside road and that is where they sent me.  Oh goody, another ambulance ride after they used a Hoyer Lift to swing me from bed to gurney.


Then at the rehab I was unloaded and pushed down the hallway until they put me in the quarantine room.  All these rides!


I was about to spend the next 40 days of my life in this wilderness.  After 14 days, they moved me to the room of the howling man.  After about three more days they took pity upon my and moved me again, this time to a room with a quieter roommate. Here, I settled in, but unfortunately when they moved me there, the aide dropped my glasses and the lens popped out against the floor. Like Humpty Dumpty, none of us could put the glasses together again, so I spend the rest of my next 23 days were without glasses.  I put the glasses frame and lens in a small pouch my daughter had given me for she keeping, but somehow the pouch disappeared and I never saw that pair of glasses again. My eyesight is not so bad that this left me blind. But things were a bit fuzzy until I got home again.

     Because of the Corona virus all the usual activities to allow us to social like and fill our time had been cancelled. One of the Theropists told me this had been a fun place before the virus, lots of activities then. Oddly, they kept posting the monthly activities on a bulletin board in our room. I guess to show what we were missing.

     There was a "Christmas in July" and all the staff wore Santa hats and we were given some special treats.  There was even a tree and Santa Claus. Santa visited each room and gave us individual girls. I received a note handed. I think this will come in handy.

     So, I watched a lot of TV when my daily rehabs were done.  Otherwise, all we had to breakup our days in bed were mealtimes and therapy.  I embraced most of this; my roommate grumbled about it.


No comments: