Banner photo of Larry Eugene Meredith, Ronald Tipton and Patrick Flynn, 2017.

The good times are memories
In the drinking of elder men...

-- Larry E.
Time II

Sunday, September 13, 2020

Rehab:Hospital, Jail, Insane Asylum 9

 

  First sample might fool you. It isn't really a menu. It is an exercise given me by the third therapist.  Looking at the menu for Hunan Express, would it cost more than $10 to get two orders of Kung Pau Beef. The answer is yes. There were 5 questions like this. "You need to buy lunch for you and your spouse. You order specials #3 and #10. Will $12.00 be enough to pay for your meals?" The answer is no.

I had to figure the answers out in my head.

There would be many tests on the days ahead. Questions  on Time and Checking and Money. I had to design a mall one time, and a garden on another.  There were tests that looked like crossword puzzles, except they weren't. You had a list of words to fill in the blanks across and down. There were a few letters in some as clues and you had to figure out what words went in the blanks. It was fun to do these exercises, all in the head. 
 

      I must have had to do 20 or more of these kind of tests.  I loved them, but for the first week or so when this young therapist came and gave me one to work out, I thought she was i neurologist checking too see if my brain was working. After all I was sent there by the hospital after they diagnosed I had a cerebral infarction due to embolism of left cerebellar artery. which I read was a rare stroke. Of course, I only get rare diseases. Maybe they sent someone tp see if my mind was all there. 

      I asked the Physical Therapist the next time she came in to torture me and she said this person was the Speech Pathologist. Oh!  This surprised me me. I had Speech Therapists at Jefferson Hospital and also with Bayada Home Care and what they gererally did was get a glass of water so they could watch me swallow. This lady never asked me to swallow anything. 

Her name was Erin and I looked forward to her visits. The exercises were fun.and not so easy doing it all in my head, especially if cents or fractions were involved ion answering. She was funny to talk with about plays in New York and travel. I think she was pretty, but who can tell when someone is always wearing a mask. Maybe they clone these speech therapists. Erin when to a foreshortened honeymoon up the 1,000 Islands in New York. her substitute looked and sounded like her, even used a number of the same expressions, but I think this woman was taller.


      Here is one go the exercises for you to try, just fill in the crossword grip wth all the words listed. Use thee few letters given as clues. All the words fit, but have to go in specific boxes.  Have fun, I did.









No comments: